The two large cities in Alberta are charged with providing services that keep people alive, healthy, safe, and happy every day, from police and fire to clean water, transportation, parks, and recreation. However, our ability to do so is severely curtailed by restricted sources of revenue. The large cities have only three sources of funding—property taxes, user fees, and transfers from other orders of government.
- What will you do to improve the large cities' financial capacity and sustainability, including providing more flexible means to finance the range of services and infrastructure that the cities now provide?
- What are your plans for long-range, sustainable, predictable capital funding for the large cities?
- Specifically, what sources of revenue are you willing to share with Calgary and Edmonton?
- What are your plans for the education portion of the property tax?
- What are your thoughts on the future of existing infrastructure programs, including the MSI?
by Alberta Liberal
by Alberta Party
by Alberta's NDP
by EverGreen Party of Alberta
by PC Alberta